Jun 10, 2010, 9:53 PM EST
The Phillies used Tuesday night's offensive outburst as a springboard to get the offense going this evening and came out tonight with the same potent offense we saw in their last outin… wait, no. No they didn't do that at all. The enigma of the Phillies' bats putting up a goose egg every few games is still intact. Tonight marked the seventh time the Phillies have been shutout, matching their total for 2009.
"I'm concerned every night when we lose. When I come to the ball park, I want to win the game," Manager Charlie Manuel said after the loss when asked if he was concerned about the Phillies offense.
Charlie was frustrated with the lack of offense but gave Josh Johnson his due, "I felt
like tonight it was good pitching. Johnson's tough, he's very
good. Johnson's one of the better pitchers in our league."
The Phillies notched only three hits on the night against the formidable Josh Johnson who pitched a gem for Florida (8 IP, 3 hits, 5 Ks, 1 BB).
Roy Halladay pitched another fantastic outing, scattering six hits over eight innings of work with only the first batter of the game crossing the plate against him. But that one run would prove enough for the Marlins who later added a solo shot off Baez in the ninth.
This game also highlighted many of the negatives we are already well aware of with this team. Danys Baez is simply not good in relief. Wilson Valdez is great at hitting into double plays. Greg Dobbs is awful at pinch-hitting this season (1 for 24 as a pinch hitter). And Jayson Werth looks lost at the plate (0-3 with 2 Ks on the night).
Charlie says he didn't see this loss as a game where the Phillies didn't
show up and put in any effort.
"Believe me they're trying," Charlie said.
Trying and losing isn't going to win you the division though.
|t800m101 on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|G_E on GIF: Jason Kelce’s beard…|
|G_E on Photo Gallery and Tweets: Linc…|
|mickthedick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages