Jun 10, 2010, 9:53 PM EST
The Phillies used Tuesday night's offensive outburst as a springboard to get the offense going this evening and came out tonight with the same potent offense we saw in their last outin… wait, no. No they didn't do that at all. The enigma of the Phillies' bats putting up a goose egg every few games is still intact. Tonight marked the seventh time the Phillies have been shutout, matching their total for 2009.
"I'm concerned every night when we lose. When I come to the ball park, I want to win the game," Manager Charlie Manuel said after the loss when asked if he was concerned about the Phillies offense.
Charlie was frustrated with the lack of offense but gave Josh Johnson his due, "I felt
like tonight it was good pitching. Johnson's tough, he's very
good. Johnson's one of the better pitchers in our league."
The Phillies notched only three hits on the night against the formidable Josh Johnson who pitched a gem for Florida (8 IP, 3 hits, 5 Ks, 1 BB).
Roy Halladay pitched another fantastic outing, scattering six hits over eight innings of work with only the first batter of the game crossing the plate against him. But that one run would prove enough for the Marlins who later added a solo shot off Baez in the ninth.
This game also highlighted many of the negatives we are already well aware of with this team. Danys Baez is simply not good in relief. Wilson Valdez is great at hitting into double plays. Greg Dobbs is awful at pinch-hitting this season (1 for 24 as a pinch hitter). And Jayson Werth looks lost at the plate (0-3 with 2 Ks on the night).
Charlie says he didn't see this loss as a game where the Phillies didn't
show up and put in any effort.
"Believe me they're trying," Charlie said.
Trying and losing isn't going to win you the division though.
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mostel on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return