Jul 14, 2009, 10:33 AM EDT
When formulating an opinion on whether Pedro Martinez would be a good addition to the 2009 Phillies squad, most fans don't care much about the three Cy Young Awards, eight All-Star appearances, or the 2004 World Series win. Instead, we're looking at that stop with the Mets, which spanned four seasons, started well enough (0.95 WHIP in 2005!), but ended with a thud. Barring any possible 2009 comeback, it would be unfair to say his career ended thusly, because his body of work is simply too astounding to focus much attention to his waning season or two. Unless, that is, your team is a few hours from signing him. Then it's everything.
"Pedro is a pitcher who likes to compete," Mets ace Johan Santana said. "If Philadelphia is giving him an opportunity to play there, he's going to compete for sure. That's all he's looking for. He's a great friend of mine. We had a great time together in New York last year, and I hope all the best for him. He's looking for the best for him, and I believe that Philadelphia is offering him what he wants and the conditions that he wants, and he's going to have a chance to win there."
But can he still pitch?
"Time will tell," Santana said. "I don't really know. But he showed in the WBC that he was ready to go, and he wants to prove a lot of people that he still has a lot left in his tank. I believe that he's a man of his word. If he says that, he's going to compete."
Mets third baseman David Wright said he also thought Martinez threw well at the WBC.
"I know that's a small sample, but you can never count a guy like Pedro out," Wright said. "He's just got a certain competitiveness to him and a fire to him that not too many pitchers have."
|eaglegreen on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return