Sep 20, 2009, 4:30 PM EDT
The big storyline coming into today's game against New Orleans was Keving Kolb getting his first start at quarterback after a full week of practice with the first team offense. Kolb played okay and was not one of the key factors that led to the Eagles decisive 48-22 loss at the hands of the high powered Saints. Mistakes on special teams and a porous defense that was backed up against a wall for much of the day did them in.
Aside from the one really bad interception Kolb threw early in the second half and two stupid INTs in the closing minutes when the game was well out of reach, Kolb limited his mistakes for a good portion of this game when it mattered. Sure, he didn't do anything particularly remarkable but he managed the game well in his first start. When the line gave him adequate time, he found the open man and when he was pressured, he got rid of the ball quickly.
I put this one on poor play from the special teams, boneheaded penalties, and the defense. It started with DeSean Jackson's decision to return a punt late in the first half which resulted in a holding penalty which led to a poor Sav Rocca punt allowing the Saints to put up a quick TD to end the half. It continued on the first play of the second half when Ellis Hobbs gave the Saints the ball right back. And things just kind of unraveled from there.
I have no doubt many fans will be blaming this one on Kolb despite his decent showing. After his first incomplete pass, commenters were already calling for Jeff Garcia. But Kolb played decent enough for me to feel confident that he could beat the Chiefs next week given the opportunity.
What worries me, aside from the poor special teams and defense, is Westbrook going down with an ankle injury and Asante leaving the game with a stinger.
Any positives? I think you have to look at Brent Celek's performance as one of the few positive performances today.
What'd you think of Kolb's effort? Does he deserve another shot against the Chiefs if McNabb can't go? Do you give McNabb the extra two weeks rest? Start Garcia? Get crazy and start Vick in his first game back in 2 years? Me? I'd go with Kolb again if McNabb isn't ready.
|Marvin Monroe on Interesting theory on Jake Vor…|
|FlyersFan on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|RightMeow on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|twpguy1964 on Andrew MacDonald’s contract pa…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money