Jul 3, 2005, 3:30 PM EST
As you may have noticed from my "Rob Thomas Sucks" post below, I was in attendance for the entire day of Live 8 in Philadelphia. I would say the concert was a success but more of a giant block party than a giant concert.
Performers I thought put on a good show:
Will Smith was a crowd favorite and his performance of Summertime was a highlight of the day. Kanye West was very good along with Alicia Keys. Jay Z with Linkin Park was another highlight for me. I’m not a huge hip hop fan or anything, but they seemed to stand out yesterday. Maroon 5′s covering of Neil Young was a great surprise as well as whoever covered Phil Collins. That was a nice nod to the original Live Aid.
Things I thought were bad: The line up ordering was not good at all. Jars of Clay, Rob Thomas, etc. These artists may be fine and have some fans. But at a concert of Live 8′s status you can’t finish with these people. The only other notable problems I found were the lack of large screens, the lack of being able to see Pink Floyd, and the pretty poor sound at some spots.
I started the morning early by catching U2 and Coldplay live on AOL Music and took Septa down to City Hall with no problem. Most of the day I was on the outskirts of Eiken’s Circle (I think that’s what its called) and later moved up rather close with a pretty nice view of the stage. Beer and other beverages were readily available to those who came prepared. There were no conflicts of any kind that I saw.
This quicktime panorama is pretty crazy.
I’ll post some pictures and a few videos I took from the day below. All in all Live 8 Philly was a blast, but the music couldn’t come close to London’s show.
- This is of when Will Smith did Summertime; it’s pretty short.
- This is of when Maroon 5 did Neil Young.
Bonus points for whoever can find something goofy/funny/out of place in these pictures. (besides the pink dog.)
|ken bartlett on Biggest takeaway from Eagles S…|
|bryan on The ‘Group of Death…|
|Steve on Cowboys lose, Eagles take over…|
|CantStanzaYa on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages