Jul 3, 2005, 3:30 PM EDT
As you may have noticed from my "Rob Thomas Sucks" post below, I was in attendance for the entire day of Live 8 in Philadelphia. I would say the concert was a success but more of a giant block party than a giant concert.
Performers I thought put on a good show:
Will Smith was a crowd favorite and his performance of Summertime was a highlight of the day. Kanye West was very good along with Alicia Keys. Jay Z with Linkin Park was another highlight for me. I’m not a huge hip hop fan or anything, but they seemed to stand out yesterday. Maroon 5′s covering of Neil Young was a great surprise as well as whoever covered Phil Collins. That was a nice nod to the original Live Aid.
Things I thought were bad: The line up ordering was not good at all. Jars of Clay, Rob Thomas, etc. These artists may be fine and have some fans. But at a concert of Live 8′s status you can’t finish with these people. The only other notable problems I found were the lack of large screens, the lack of being able to see Pink Floyd, and the pretty poor sound at some spots.
I started the morning early by catching U2 and Coldplay live on AOL Music and took Septa down to City Hall with no problem. Most of the day I was on the outskirts of Eiken’s Circle (I think that’s what its called) and later moved up rather close with a pretty nice view of the stage. Beer and other beverages were readily available to those who came prepared. There were no conflicts of any kind that I saw.
This quicktime panorama is pretty crazy.
I’ll post some pictures and a few videos I took from the day below. All in all Live 8 Philly was a blast, but the music couldn’t come close to London’s show.
- This is of when Will Smith did Summertime; it’s pretty short.
- This is of when Maroon 5 did Neil Young.
Bonus points for whoever can find something goofy/funny/out of place in these pictures. (besides the pink dog.)
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money