Apr 29, 2008, 12:57 AM EDT
Although they were outshot 34-14 on the game and down a man for 5 minutes of the third period, the Flyers hung on to win game three over the Canadiens by a score of 3-2. Martin Biron was again the star of the game, turning away every shot he faced, other than two goals during the 5-minute major assessed to Derian Hatcher.
This one was by far the highlight, as Biron stretches to make a brilliant stick save on a streaking Saku Koivu, who’d been hit with a homerun pass as he came out of the box all alone:
Despite their low shot total, the Flyers chased Montreal goalie Carey
Price from the net with three goals on their first six of only 12 total shots
through two periods. Scottie Upshall, Mike Richards, and RJ Umberger
each scored for the Flyers, with both the Upshall and Richards goals
coming on long, uncontested wristshots, calling into question whether Price will be in net on Wednesday. The Flyers managed only two
shots in the third period against backup Jaroslav Halak, but they spent seven minutes of
the frame killing off penalties. Odds are Price will be in net.
Outside of the two goals on Hatch’s penalty (which will be reviewed by
the league and could draw a suspension), the PK unit looked strong,
killing off an early 2-minute 5 on 3 and adding a short-handed goal by
Richards in the second period. The other half of the Flyers special
teams was abysmal, as their power-play unit was unable to muster even a
single shot with the man-advantage Monday night. Montreal’s PK unit
looked strong, and who would be surprised that a
team coached by Guy Carbonneau and Kirk Muller could kill off penalty
From where we were sitting and the replays we saw, the Hatcher boarding call was probably justified. And when RJ Umberger was low-bridged by Tomas Plekanec, it was certainly dirty and deserving of a call, but I can understand how it was missed, because it was immediately after Hatch leveled Francis Buillion, and every set of eyes in the arena was on the Canadien as he tumbled to the ice, including mine. The Flyers were lucky to escape the non-releasable penalty with a one-goal lead, and we hope Hatch doesn’t receive further discipline from the league. If he does, hopefully they will let the tape continue a few seconds longer so they can see Plekanec pull a Kasparitis on Umberger.
However, Umberger scored another post-season goal in this one, his fourth goal of the series and fifth in the playoffs, and he was able to return after the hit from Plekanec. Too add insult to missed call, however, Plekanec scored on the ensuing powerplay. It got tense after the second Habs goal, but Marty Biron stayed composed and clamped down once again.
Other than what happened on the ice, the place was characteristically electric. A guest appearance on the big screen by Dave Mustaine (to answer Mike Wise’s now infamous Megadeth quote) was almost entirely drowned out by the crowd noise leading up to the game. Danny Briere came on the big screen to ask that we join him in respecting both national anthems, but the O, Canada was roundly booed by many (no offense meant to Lauren Hart of course). A smattering of opposing fans (more than we saw for the Capitals series) were heckled as expected, in part for being Habs supporters, but also for their ridiculously awful attire. These people wear more winter knit hats than the kids from South Park, and I’m pretty sure I saw Ducky from Pretty in Pink wearing CH t-shirt with a striped blazer and a derby. I had to hand it to the guy who rocked a Shayne Corson jersey along with a powerfully weak feathered 80s mullet. Long live the dynasty.
Game 4 is set for Wednesday night. Game 3 highlights:
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return