Sep 23, 2009, 1:35 PM EDT
Game one of the Kevin Kolb era is in the books, and as promised, the all-knowing McNabb-O-Meter has shifted its forecast. Were 391 yards passing enough to bury Donovan's extension with the Eagles, or will 3 interceptions prove a hefty toll on 4's wallet? Click through to find out.
To be clear, the McNabb-O-Meter is not meant to reflect the author's bias. I believe I can comfortably speak for everyone at the Level and say we're all Donovan supporters, and he is the best quarterback for the Eagles. Having said that, if the front office determines it can win with this young Kolb fellow for half the price, all the evidence seems to indicate that's what they will do.
Kolb obviously didn't win on Sunday. For now though, they have to be happy he didn't just fall flat on his face. It looks like he'll get another start this week, so he has the chance to build on a solid first half (14/22, 196 yds, 1 TD). The more opportunities the kid has, the worse it is – or better? – for Donovan, who meanwhile misses games due to injury for the fourth time in five seasons. Plus, a broken rib is exactly the kind of thing that can linger and make a Pro Bowl quarterback look like an aging veteran.
It's a long season though, still plenty of time for this to swing the other way. As you can see, the change on the meter is very minor. This wasn't the type of performance that makes any sane person want to run their franchise QB out of town, but it gives the backup a foothold he previously did not have. Like we said when the McNabb-O-Meter was first introduced, the best way for Donovan to earn that extension was to play 16 games and keep Kolb glued to the bench.
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money