May 4, 2007, 7:52 AM EDT
With Tom Gordon predictably headed to the DL, former starter Brett Myers has been elevated to the closer’s role, picking up his first save with a perfect 9th last night in San Francisco. Not long ago, Myers’ 2007 season as a starter was looking bright, with the 26-year-old poised to become a true ace. We could hardly believe it when Uncle Charlie sent him to the bullpen as a middle reliever, but we always figured it was just a layover on his way to being the Phillies closer. For his part, Myers seems to have no problem with the change, even if it appears on the surface to be something of a demotion.
The offense also got to Giants starter Matt Cain, who came into the game tearing up NL hitters. In his late-night wrap-up, Todd Zolecki points out that before letting up 9 to the Phils last night, Cain was was holding opposing hitters a .109 batting average on the season. Adam Eaton got knocked around in the 6th to make things interesting (and raise his NL-worst ERA to 8.18. Worth every penny of that $24.5 million over 3…). If Eaton can’t cut down on the free passes, he’s going to be pitching in trouble on every turn.
At least the Phils may finally have a solid solution in the 9th, and for the most part, the run support to get them there. When Gordon comes back from this his latest injury, my guess is he will be used to set up Myers. Before he came to Philly, he was a high-caliber set up guy, and that’s what his ideal role is here too.
Extras: It looks like the Giants may give phenom Tim Lincecum his first Major League start this Sunday against the Phils. Check out this kid’s mechanics. At Triple-A Fresno, Lincecum is 4-0 with a 0.29 ERA with 12 hits and 46 strikeouts over 31 innings. I may have picked up in Fantasy, but I hope the Phillies knock him all over the park.
>>Phillies hang on to beat Giants, 9-7 [The Inquirer ]
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money