Sep 9, 2009, 1:14 PM EST
I always liked Rodney Carney. As you may recall, the Memphis swingman spent a couple of seasons with the Sixers rather recetnly, traded from the Bulls on draft night in 2006 for our pick of Thabo Sefolosha, and getting dumped to the Timberwolves in 2009 to make cap space for the Elton Brand signing. I thought Carney got a raw deal then–he was just starting to come into his own as one of the Sixers' key bench guys. Well, the Sixers apparently were at least man enough to admit their mistake, and brought Carney back yesterday, for the fourth-year-player minimum of $855,189, on a one-year deal.
Carney should give the Sixers another set of young legs to run on the break with Thad, Iguodala and Sweet Lou, an explosive slasher with a pretty good ability to finish as well. He can also be something of an outside threat, at least by Sixers standards–he shot 35% from deep last year, better than any of our guys, and in the grand tradition of ex-Philly athletes burning us when we play them on other teams, he poured in an impressive seven threes for the Wolves in a game against the Sixers last March. At the very least, his similar skill set should allow him to do a decent job of spelling 'Dre, who led the league in minutes played last year.
It's not the most earth-shattering signing, certainly, but it makes me feel a little bit better about our fairly thin bench, especially with Lou likely bumped to the starting lineup. And for just the minimum contract, it's pretty hard to argue with.
|Steve on Adrian Peterson thinks Mike Vi…|
|Ummmm on Union unveil new primary kits,…|
|bulldogmomanne on Before This Week, the Most Un-…|
|BirdGangT on With $13 million guaranteed, J…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return