Mar 30, 2009, 9:51 AM EDT
We're always up for some goalie mask pr0n here at the Level, so we were happy to see Flyers backup backstop Antero Niittymaki rocking a new mask last night. It's a variation on the same theme his old mask carried, highlighting the nickname former coach Ken Hitchcock gave him. Nitty is an easy variation on his last name, of course, but it's also the name of a Sicilian-born mobster, Frank Nitti, whom Antero has painted on his old and new masks. His old one had Nitti holding machine gun, with bullet casings coming down the side and bulletholes around the chin area.
The latest iteration changes the background color from black to white, with a black-clad gangster, still holding the tommy gun. The "NITTY" lettering is more pronounced too.
Which Nitty/Nitti mask do you like better?
Back of the mask, after the jump.
Another change is that the back straps no longer cover the painted area of the back piece, leaving some room for art. Nitty's chosen to go with the crowned lion from the coat of arms of his native Finland.
|mfrey0118 on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
|frank on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|Mostel on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
|Sid on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money