Sep 28, 2010, 5:43 PM EST
The scent of champagne, Budweiser, and cigar smoke has faded, for now, and was replaced this afternoon in the Phillies clubhouse by a burning Yankee Candle of the Autumn Wreath variety, "There's a cheerful fall welcome in the spicy warmth of autumn leaves and cinnamon apples."
Fitting, since the Fightins' have secured their ticket to October.
The big news today out of DC is that the Phillies will opt to start their NLDS series next Wednesday, October 6th, giving them an extra off-day during the series that would set them up to only have to use three starting pitchers. Perhaps you've heard, the Phillies have a pretty nasty triumvirate.
Also of note in an otherwise mostly meaningless baseball game this evening is the lineup shake ups in order to give some veterans rest, while also working Jimmy Rollins back into the swing of things.
Jimmy Rollins will see his first start in a couple of weeks in the hopes that the final 5 games of the regular season will give him enough time to find his rhythm in time for the NLDS.
J-Roll will lead off, followed by Ibanez, Utley, Howard, Francisco (CF), Brown (RF), Dobbs (3B), Schneider, and Oswalt. Charlie Manuel said to expect to see guys like Utley and Howard to see rest over the next few days.
The next few days should be interesting in terms of who the Phillies will put out on the field each night. There's a fine line between giving a guy rest and keeping him sharp for the postseason. Kyle Kendrick is schedule to start on Friday against the Braves, but after that, the Phillies starters are TBA and TBA to finish out the season. Do you let Cole and Roy throw a few innings? Or instead go with a Vance Worley type?
First pitch tonight is scheduled for 7:05. The division champs will try to tee off on Jason Marquis (2-9, 7.18). Come on out to Nationals Park to see the 2010 NL East champs. Plenty of good seats available.
|solidsender on We’re comparing Michael…|
|Chip Smelly on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|BenE. on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages