Jan 13, 2010, 2:00 PM EST
Getting to 400 wins was hard, and getting to #401 will be even tougher. Joe Paterno looks to do something he has never done before in his career as Penn State takes on the Ohio State Buckeyes. Since Paterno took over as the head coach in State College Penn State has never beaten Ohio State when the Nittany Lions were un-ranked and the Buckeyes were in the top ten. Penn State has done that three times before, all under Paterno's predecessor Rip Engle.
Penn State's defense will be put to the test this weekend and they will need to play a near perfect game, similar to the way they did two years ago to win 13-6. Ohio State's offense is led by Pennsylvania's former prized high school athlete Terrelle Pryor while Penn State's offense will be put in the hands of the scrappy Scranton native Matt McGloin, who started as a walk-on with the Nittany Lions and now has been given the starting job behind center. The comparison of the backgrounds of the quarterbacks is similar to that of the two programs themselves.
Ohio State started the season as a national title contender while Penn State was thought to be a low level Top 25 team at best. Now the chances of playing for a national title appear dim for the Buckeyes but a return trip to the BCS slate of games remains in waiting. Penn State, who just became eligible fr a bowl last week is clawing their way up the Big Ten standings after an 0-2 start in conference play and is making a push for a New Year's Day bowl appearance.
Penn State cannot afford to fall behind to the Buckeyes. Since joining the Big Ten the Nittany Lions have never scored more than 13 points (last year) and they have only reached double digits in scoring one other time (ten points in 2004. The offense has been in high gear in recent weeks but all of that tends to not matter whenever Paterno steps foot in Columbus.
Can they pull off the upset?
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages