Jan 13, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Getting to 400 wins was hard, and getting to #401 will be even tougher. Joe Paterno looks to do something he has never done before in his career as Penn State takes on the Ohio State Buckeyes. Since Paterno took over as the head coach in State College Penn State has never beaten Ohio State when the Nittany Lions were un-ranked and the Buckeyes were in the top ten. Penn State has done that three times before, all under Paterno's predecessor Rip Engle.
Penn State's defense will be put to the test this weekend and they will need to play a near perfect game, similar to the way they did two years ago to win 13-6. Ohio State's offense is led by Pennsylvania's former prized high school athlete Terrelle Pryor while Penn State's offense will be put in the hands of the scrappy Scranton native Matt McGloin, who started as a walk-on with the Nittany Lions and now has been given the starting job behind center. The comparison of the backgrounds of the quarterbacks is similar to that of the two programs themselves.
Ohio State started the season as a national title contender while Penn State was thought to be a low level Top 25 team at best. Now the chances of playing for a national title appear dim for the Buckeyes but a return trip to the BCS slate of games remains in waiting. Penn State, who just became eligible fr a bowl last week is clawing their way up the Big Ten standings after an 0-2 start in conference play and is making a push for a New Year's Day bowl appearance.
Penn State cannot afford to fall behind to the Buckeyes. Since joining the Big Ten the Nittany Lions have never scored more than 13 points (last year) and they have only reached double digits in scoring one other time (ten points in 2004. The offense has been in high gear in recent weeks but all of that tends to not matter whenever Paterno steps foot in Columbus.
Can they pull off the upset?
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money