Sep 18, 2010, 10:30 AM EST
In case you missed it, Penn State has pulled back the curtain to become the only school in Pennsylvania to support a fully funded ice hockey program. Could this have any chance of helping to get the Flyers and Penguins to square off in a future Winter Classic? Who knows? But let's stick to football today…
Penn State needs a game like this week’s scheduled game to lick their wounds from a tough defeat against top ranked Alabama. The Nittany Lions turned the ball over to Alabama three times in Alabama territory and could not come up with a big play when it really counted in losing 24-3. This week should see Penn State get the offense back on track, albeit against a much more inferior opponent.
The Nittany Lions return home this weekend to host Kent State (1-1) a week before welcoming Temple to Beaver Stadium for what is shaping out to be a fine intra-state match-up. For Penn State to feel good about themselves again they will need to see improvement on defense. Last week’s sloppy effort saw many missed and poor tackles against a bruising Alabama running game. The pass defense was also exploited by the Crimson Tide but Penn State’s remaining opponents may not have the weapons they faced in week two, so there should be some mild improvement in that particular area.
Penn State is 2-0 all time against the Golden Flashes, with the last meeting needing the Nittany Lions to dig out of an early 10-0 hole in 2003. Fans should expect to see freshman quarterback Rob Bolden continue to grow this week as he took nearly every snap in the Alabama game to cement himself as the quarterback for this team.
Today’s game can be seen on ESPN2, with a 12:01 p.m. kickoff scheduled.
To keep up with all of McGuire’s coverage follow him on Twitter @PSUExaminer.
|Matt S. on LeSean McCoy pulls Eagles slei…|
|braindead on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|nyphilsphan on LeSean McCoy pulls Eagles slei…|
|caliphornian on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages