May 19, 2008, 3:05 PM EST
A lifetime of rooting for teams that always let you down has taught many Philly natives how to lose,
itself an important life lesson. Fans have been conditioned for
failure. They expect defeat. Compound this trend with the city’s
historical inferiority complex and you’ve got something worse than
fatalism: It’s the perverse sense deep down that we don’t even deserve
Personally, it could be 500 straight seasons of losing and it wouldn’t make a difference to me. The fact that bothers me most, rather than the sheer length of the current drought, is that I have no recollection of what a championship feels like.
That said, contrary to popular belief, I’m not angry. I’m at peace
with all of this losing crap. Am I getting tired of it? Absolutely. But
I’m not going to go jumping off any bridges anytime soon. I’m more
concerned with this season and less concerned with the last 100 seasons.
Sports Illustrated decided to document 100 of the most pathetic feats over the past 100 seasons. It’s pretty solid.
Rich Hoffman also offers his nice take.
Screw all this negativity crap. I’m taking my balls and going… golfing.
>>100 Seasons … 100 Heartbreaks [Sports Illustrated]
|willh888 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Schmidsy on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Schmidsy on Video: If Chip Kelly calls a […|
|Marvin Monroe on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages