Aug 6, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
Hot off a sweep of the Marlins in Florida, the Phillies will return home for Jort Night at Citizens Bank Park as the Mets are in town for a three game set. There hasn't been an abundance of story lines between these two teams this season, with the Mets currently six games behind the Fightins', but that could always change at any moment.
To get you ready for the rivalry series this weekend, we highly suggest this article by former Phillies scribe turned Mets man Andy Martino about the difference between the two clubs. It involves one team having an "(expletive you) edge."
The team [Mets] has, however, lacked the swagger that, to hear those who
were there tell it, defined the 1986 Mets, and has defined the 2007-2010
Phillies. Utley will slide spikes-up into any second baseman, and
Rollins will publicly bash his opponents. When Colorado manager Jim Tracy this spring complained that the Phillies kept binoculars in their bullpen in an apparent attempt to steal signs, Charlie Manuel told him to "quit crying." The Phillies manager then, without provocation, accused the Mets of stealing signs.
It all adds up to a "(expletive) you" edge that the Mets lack. From
the general manager to the coaching staff to the star players to Chris Carter and Jesus Feliciano, they are almost all nice people. Maybe too nice.
We all love a little attitude from our clubs. Be thankful our Phillies appear to be the total opposite of the Mets in that respect.
The Mets have been struggling a bit of late, as they often do, but their pitchers line up favorably for them against the Phils. However, the home team counters with Cole and Roy to finish off the weekend, so it should be a fun series.
CSN's Leslie Gudel provided this awesome tidbit from Mike Sweeney today:
Mike Sweeney on coming to Philadelphia "Being a devout Catholic, its heavenly in the realm of baseball"
I think I like this guy already.
Sweeney will make his Phillies debut tonight and bat clean up. Curious, but that's Charlie for ya. No big shoes to fill for Sweeney or anything.
First pitch scheduled for 7:35. If you see a guy in 145 with a red t-shirt on say hello. And remember, when encounering Mets fans in the wild, be sure to bring your "(expletive) you edge."
|Marvin Monroe on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
|donny05 on Don Tollefson: Maybe not an al…|
|33 on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
|will on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages