Feb 12, 2008, 8:07 AM EST
Jayson Stark of ESPN is reporting that the Phillies have signed OF Raul Ibanez to a deal believed to be worth 3-years over $30 million. The 36-year-old will have to first pass a physical.
Ibanez will replace Pat Burrell as the Phils’ everyday leftfielder. Pat will surely be missed here, but it was made clear pretty early that his return would be very unlikely. At least he got a hero’s sendoff.
Stark on Ibanez:
Ibanez, who turns 37 next June, has spent the past five seasons with
the Mariners, where he was a long-time favorite of outgoing Phillies GM
Pat Gillick. He hit .293 this season, with 23 homers, 110 RBIs, a .358
on-base percentage and a .472 slugging percentage. He is one of just
five outfielders who have driven in at least 100 runs in each of the
last three seasons.
The Phillies had been interested in the Cubs’ Mark DeRosa, who could have filled in for Chase Utley while the All-Star recovered from hip surgery, then move to LF. But when the Cubs backed out of the Peavy deal, Ruben Amaro Jr. quickly shifted gears to Ibanez. It had been reported last week that Philadelphia was Ibanez’s top choice.
Already a lefty-heavy lineup, adding another southpaw doesn’t exactly sound like a great idea, despite Ibanez’s overall numbers. But he did hit lefties well last season, better, in fact, than he hit righties. His average against lefties was .305, and his OBP was .371, and he slugged .497. Versus righties, those numbers were .288, .352, and .470, respectively.
However, those splits might be misleading. Over the last three years, here are his numbers against lefties: .269 avg, .325 OBP, and .410 slugging; against righties over that span: .300, .366, .526, respectively.
Did the old dog learn some new tricks, or should we expect a regression against lefties?
In any case, the Phillies just ensured that their leftfielder will hit for a very solid average and provide excellent run production.
|Simmonds17 on Which Philadelphia Union playe…|
|Enrico Campitelli Jr… on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|lew on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|mike on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return