Sep 24, 2009, 6:42 PM EDT
With the Phillies and Brewers getting underway just after 8 tonight, you can get a guilt-free Flyers fix in for an hour. The Flyers will host the Devils on CSN at 7, with Ray Emery scheduled to play the whole game.
For a team with a 6.5 game lead on their division with 11 games remaining, the Phillies aren't exactly storming into October. The Lidge situation is a total mess and nobody can come up with a workable solution — if there even is one. Charlie has said over and over that Lidge is his guy, for better or for worse. The way he's been pitching lately it certainly looks "for worse."
There's only one way I can see this ending well.
So I just spent about twenty minutes writing, deleting, writing, and deleting a scenario in which I could see it ending well. The only problem was, I didn't believe any of it myself.
It looks to me, as of today, that Charlie is going to stick with Lidge. I don't get it. I wouldn't do it. But it seems to be what he's saying.
So how does this all end well? If I had to bet on a dream scenario given the current circumstances, I'd say Charlie goes with the hot hand. Only on some nights, he thinks Lidge has the hot hand. Someone over at Beerleaguer joked about picking a name out of a hat, and as ridiculous as it sounds, it might actually work better than simply putting Lidge out there for every save opportunity. They're just going to have to get lucky.
Alright, enough Lidge. It's infuriating and depressing. I think if there's been any point in the Phillies season to pray something works it self out, it's right now with the back of the rotation. Worth a shot at least.
The Phils kick off a four game set tonight at Miller Park where the nuts are roasted warm and coated in cinnamon. They're actually pretty damn good.
The Brewers have no shot at the postseason so whether they're motivated by playing the spoiler role remains to be seen.
Tonight it's J.A. Happ against Jeff Supan. First pitch is set for 8:05.
Feel free to discuss both the Flyers and Phillies games below.
Flyers lines tonight via AntSanFlip: Gagne-Carter-Briere, Asham-Giroux-van Riemsdyk, Maroon-Laperriere-Pyorala, Laliberte-Betts-Carcillo
|t800m101 on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
|Bob on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
|Marvin Monroe on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
|psudrozz on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money