Dec 2, 2004, 8:34 PM EST
The Phillies won the final game of the season on a day when it mattered, but their hopes of a playoff birth were shattered when the Astros beat Chicago in Houston.
I suppose it wouldn’t have really mattered if Houston had lost on Sunday. The Phillies would have had to play the Astros on Monday and the Phils were 0-6 against them this season. I would have loved to watch the one game playoff at CBP, but it wasn’t in the cards.
In the final game of the season, Jimmy Rollins continued his remarkable hitting streak which reached 36 games. Jimmy has all off season to think about keeping it going. Wondering what the deal is with being able to carry a hit streak into the next season? ESPN sets things straight:
For the purpose of baseball records, Rollins’ hitting streak will
extend into 2006, and he can add to it. The major league marks for
longest hitting streak in one season and longest hitting streak
spanning two seasons are separate records, according to the Elias
It was a tough season for Phils fans with lots of mixed emotions. There are some things to be excited about for next year: Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, etc. There are also some things to cringe at: David Bell, Mike Lieberthal, Ed Wade.
Phillies fans had some hope coming into Sunday, but now all they can hope for is a decent off season by Phillies management. Put away your red for now and break out the green.
|joe skal on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Mick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|mike on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages