Dec 2, 2004, 8:34 PM EDT
The Phillies won the final game of the season on a day when it mattered, but their hopes of a playoff birth were shattered when the Astros beat Chicago in Houston.
I suppose it wouldn’t have really mattered if Houston had lost on Sunday. The Phillies would have had to play the Astros on Monday and the Phils were 0-6 against them this season. I would have loved to watch the one game playoff at CBP, but it wasn’t in the cards.
In the final game of the season, Jimmy Rollins continued his remarkable hitting streak which reached 36 games. Jimmy has all off season to think about keeping it going. Wondering what the deal is with being able to carry a hit streak into the next season? ESPN sets things straight:
For the purpose of baseball records, Rollins’ hitting streak will
extend into 2006, and he can add to it. The major league marks for
longest hitting streak in one season and longest hitting streak
spanning two seasons are separate records, according to the Elias
It was a tough season for Phils fans with lots of mixed emotions. There are some things to be excited about for next year: Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, etc. There are also some things to cringe at: David Bell, Mike Lieberthal, Ed Wade.
Phillies fans had some hope coming into Sunday, but now all they can hope for is a decent off season by Phillies management. Put away your red for now and break out the green.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money