Dec 7, 2004, 5:10 AM EST
Slow news day, but the Phillies did sign a guy named Fabio and some teenagers:
The Phillies continued to stretch their international wings on
Wednesday, signing four players from Brazil and one pitcher from Taiwan.
From Brazil, the Phillies signed two pitchers and two outfielders:
right-handed pitchers Heitor Correa, 16, and Gilmar Pereira, 17; and
outfielders Fabio Murakami, 17, and Bruno Doi, 17. The pitchers
represented their country in international competition.
Random Inklings from Bill Conlin’s article today:
Hard to believe the Phillies didn’t follow
Tuesday’s Ed Wade announcement that manager Charlie Manuel and his
coaching staff will all be back next season with a ticket-price
increase. Don’t worry – all things in due time. To those of you who
responded favorably to my two-headed GM scenario in which Wade returns
to handle the off-field details and managing general partner Dave
Montgomery hires a real baseball man to run field operations:
Fuhgeddaboudit! What you just saw is what you’re gonna get more of next
season. I swear that driving past the Money Pit the other afternoon,
the flagpole in center had been transformed into a giant, extended
Baseball America’s must-have,
best-prospects edition is out and is not particularly kind to the
Phillies. In fact, it has the Phils tied for last among 30
organizations in the number of Top 20 prospects in each league where
they have an affiliate. The Angels rank first, with 20 players
selected. The Braves are second with 19. The Phillies are tied for last
with the Blue Jays at five apiece.
The highest-rated Phils prospect is Ryan Howard, rated No. 4 in the
International League, despite his Rookie of the Year performance with
the varsity. Highest Reading player was No. 18, outfielder Michael
Bourn. Eastern League Rookie of the Year Chris Roberson failed to crack
the Top 20, which is strange. Lakewood’s Greg Golson, the 2004 No. 1
draft pick, was No. 14 in the Sally League. Clearwater infielder Tim
Moss was No. 19 in the Florida State League. Batavia infielder Welinson
Baez was No. 15 in the short-season New York-Penn League. "Untouchable"
pitchers Gavin Floyd and Cole Hamels didn’t get a mention.
I don’t think many Average Joe Phillies fans picked up on the fact that the entire Phillies coaching staff was rehired including everyone’s favorite third base coach Bill Dancy. What does this mean other than the fact that Mets fans will enjoy watching David Bell being waved around to third and being thrown out by 28 feet? Charlie and Big Ed are assured to be back as well. I’m thinking of a four letter word.
I don’t think many Average Joe Phillies fans picked up on the fact that the entire Phillies coaching staff was rehired including everyone’s favorite third base coach Bill Dancy. What does this mean other than the fact that Mets fans will enjoy watching David Bell being waved around to third and being thrown out by 28 feet? Charlie and Big Ed are assured to be back as well.
I’m thinking of a four letter word.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return