Feb 12, 2006, 9:38 AM EST
Rocky Balboa, the movie, comes to theaters on December 22nd. Philadelphia Magazine’s cover story this month tells the story of how Sylvester Stallone defined Rocky and, in turn, how Rocky defined Stallone. It’s a solid read. At times you’ll be nodding in agreement and at parts you’ll disagree completely, but it takes a look at our fascination with the southpaw whose whole life was a million to one shot.
Gargano weighs in:
“Every time people talk about Philly sports, it’s always about ‘heart’ and ‘desire,’” says WIP’s Anthony Gargano. “That’s what Rocky
picked up on, and what it also helped to create. But it goes beyond
sports. When ‘Philadelphian’ is used as an adjective to describe
someone — and I’m not sure it was ever used as an adjective before Rocky
— it means that person has heart and desire. I think people here have
so internalized the mythology of the Rocky character that they will
choose the underdog who overachieves over the superstar who actually
It also talks about the first ever game at the Linc, a thorough beating by Tampa Bay, at which Rocky made a triumphant appearance to fire the crowd up. I was there, and Rocky’s appearance really was the highlight of that abysmal day. You see, even I still refer to him as Rocky.
It’s a long article, too much to summarize, so go read it. Any article that uses the word palooka that many times is alright in my book. Stallone on the closing scene of the saga:
“It was the saddest day of my life, in a way. We’d done the last shot of Rocky Balboa, and I was sitting there on the top of the steps, and the snow was coming down, and then I realized it. It’s over."
Yo, Rock, I didn’t hear no bell.
|SadKumquat on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|JMRA on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|AJockStrapFeely on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|luke jenkins on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages