Jul 14, 2009, 7:33 AM EDT
Sports talk radio has been a significant component of the Philadelphia sports fan's media experience for over two decades. A lot has changed in that time, with hosts moving from market to market and/or swapping time slots and partners, and programming including everything from Eagles games to wing-eating contests to just straight up sports talk. In 2005, WPEN changed its format to sports talk, after years of being an oldies station. On April 1, 2008, WPEN became an ESPN affiliate.
A little over a year later, we wanted to see which shows the readers of The700Level liked best, and also hear some of the reasons why. We listen to a fair amount of sports talk ourselves, and really it was just a matter of curiosity.
Two weeks ago, we began posting a series of polls asking readers the simplest of questions regarding their listening preferences when it comes to sports talk radio in the Philadelphia market. We attempted to keep the polling free of bias, and also to make as straightforward as possible. Doing so means the polling data are fairly limited and should obviously not be regarded as scientific or definitive. We also did not put in any measures by which we could extrapolate demographic data. A lot more goes into accurate polling than simply asking the questions you want answered.
That being said, we think it was an interesting discussion-starter on a topic that gets people talking, and the sample sizes were big enough to show at least some overall trends among our readership (which is obviously not a direct mirror of the sports talk listening audience).
Part 1 of the survey was a big one—the morning drive hours. 610 WIP has market-specific programming featuring Angelo Cataldi, Rhea Hughes, Al Morganti, and a rotation of former Eagle Hugh Douglas and former Flyer Keith Jones, among a cast of others.
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|willh888 on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Gregg on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|bruiserbrigade on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money