Jul 14, 2009, 7:33 AM EST
Sports talk radio has been a significant component of the Philadelphia sports fan's media experience for over two decades. A lot has changed in that time, with hosts moving from market to market and/or swapping time slots and partners, and programming including everything from Eagles games to wing-eating contests to just straight up sports talk. In 2005, WPEN changed its format to sports talk, after years of being an oldies station. On April 1, 2008, WPEN became an ESPN affiliate.
A little over a year later, we wanted to see which shows the readers of The700Level liked best, and also hear some of the reasons why. We listen to a fair amount of sports talk ourselves, and really it was just a matter of curiosity.
Two weeks ago, we began posting a series of polls asking readers the simplest of questions regarding their listening preferences when it comes to sports talk radio in the Philadelphia market. We attempted to keep the polling free of bias, and also to make as straightforward as possible. Doing so means the polling data are fairly limited and should obviously not be regarded as scientific or definitive. We also did not put in any measures by which we could extrapolate demographic data. A lot more goes into accurate polling than simply asking the questions you want answered.
That being said, we think it was an interesting discussion-starter on a topic that gets people talking, and the sample sizes were big enough to show at least some overall trends among our readership (which is obviously not a direct mirror of the sports talk listening audience).
Part 1 of the survey was a big one—the morning drive hours. 610 WIP has market-specific programming featuring Angelo Cataldi, Rhea Hughes, Al Morganti, and a rotation of former Eagle Hugh Douglas and former Flyer Keith Jones, among a cast of others.
|Simmonds17 on This Grantland profile on Andr…|
|Lee Harvey on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Nicky Boy on Quotable: Ruben Amaro Jr. says…|
|Scott B on Quotable: Ruben Amaro Jr. says…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages