Jul 11, 2010, 2:00 PM EST
If the Phillies score five runs in the second inning today and end up beating the Reds by a score of 6-2, are you going to be just a little bit disappointed? Probably not, but still–it's not often that your team treats you to three walk-off wins in a row, especially when they involve things like coming back from six down in the ninth inning and hanging in there to break up a pitcher's perfect game in the final frame, and then take it all in extras. Winning decisively just seems so ho-hum by comparison now.
We'll take it, though. After losing two straight to the Braves where it felt like the Phillies could have easily won both games, at this point any result that lets us tally one more in the W column has to be treated with equal reverence. So if the Phillies wanted to take this one in a manner slightly less dramatic than the way they've won their last couple, I guess we could probably deal. Thanks for the three in a row, though, guys–I knew there was a reason we've sold out our last 14,579 home games in a row.
Today it's Cole Hamels vs. Reds rook Matt Maloney–amazing how he's been able to refurbish a second career after his underwhelming start as the point guard for the '97 Rockets–with a 1:35 start. Depsite giving up more than three earned runs once in his last eight starts, Cole is only 1-5 over that period, and his record has dropped to 6-7 as a result. Cole's been a fairly good soldier this year, and like at least one other Phils starter, he deserves better than his offensive support has allowed him. Today would be a nice day for the bats to carry us home–or to Anaheim, I suppose, to be technically accurate. Lord knows our hitters got a chance to get some rest last night.
|Nicky Boy on Quotable: Ruben Amaro Jr. says…|
|Scott B on Quotable: Ruben Amaro Jr. says…|
|Junie gees on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|dialectician on Quotable: Ruben Amaro Jr. says…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages