Jul 11, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
If the Phillies score five runs in the second inning today and end up beating the Reds by a score of 6-2, are you going to be just a little bit disappointed? Probably not, but still–it's not often that your team treats you to three walk-off wins in a row, especially when they involve things like coming back from six down in the ninth inning and hanging in there to break up a pitcher's perfect game in the final frame, and then take it all in extras. Winning decisively just seems so ho-hum by comparison now.
We'll take it, though. After losing two straight to the Braves where it felt like the Phillies could have easily won both games, at this point any result that lets us tally one more in the W column has to be treated with equal reverence. So if the Phillies wanted to take this one in a manner slightly less dramatic than the way they've won their last couple, I guess we could probably deal. Thanks for the three in a row, though, guys–I knew there was a reason we've sold out our last 14,579 home games in a row.
Today it's Cole Hamels vs. Reds rook Matt Maloney–amazing how he's been able to refurbish a second career after his underwhelming start as the point guard for the '97 Rockets–with a 1:35 start. Depsite giving up more than three earned runs once in his last eight starts, Cole is only 1-5 over that period, and his record has dropped to 6-7 as a result. Cole's been a fairly good soldier this year, and like at least one other Phils starter, he deserves better than his offensive support has allowed him. Today would be a nice day for the bats to carry us home–or to Anaheim, I suppose, to be technically accurate. Lord knows our hitters got a chance to get some rest last night.
|Stan on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Jason R. on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|2sentz on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money