Feb 19, 2006, 11:42 AM EST
The Phillies reached a one year deal with Jayson Werth.
"Jayson is a young outfielder with a combination of power and speed," said
general manager Pat Gillick. "He’s had some injuries over the past couple
years, but we think he has tremendous athleticism and we’re very happy to have
him in a Phillies uniform. He’s a great addition to the club."
I can’t say I know much about the guy. Beerleaguer’s take:
If it turns out to be a major league deal, with nothing else on the way
in terms of a LH outfielder, it’s a little suspect. The Phillies are
probably trying to establish some young depth 1-through-5, and Werth
gives them a major-league ready option at a bargain price … but only
if he’s healthy. A wrist injury can be a bitch.
I’m always suspect of guys named Jayson who spell their name with a ‘y’, but I’m also a fan of cheap, low-risk moves that could payoff a whole lot more than they could hurt you. Maybe this guy could turn into something nice.
|Matt S. on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|SadKumquat on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|JMRA on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|AJockStrapFeely on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages