May 31, 2005, 10:36 PM EDT
Randy Wolf pitched a great game to lead the Phillies past the Giants and the Braves fell to the Nationals making the NL East the tightest division in baseball. Atlanta and Florida are tied atop the division with Washington being 1.5 back, the Mets 2.5 back, and the Phillies 3.5 back.
Ryan Madson continues to thrive as the Phillies setup man going 1.1 innings of shutout ball. In contrast Billy Wagner seems to be going through some Mitch Williams phase going 1 inning and giving up another Home Run ball. Maybe it was the fans fault that Billy served up a dinger to Yorvit Torrealba, Yorvy’s second of the year:
Pronounced: yor VEET tor-EE-all-buh (what would we do without ESPN)
The Phillies seem to be on track lately, winning 10 of their last 16, and are right back in the hunt for the tight knit East. I still don’t think the fans of Philly are on board, however. You may ask yourself, Why not? I tend to go along with the theory that the outspoken criticism of the fans by Phillies players (Lofton, Rollins, Wagner, etc.) and coaches (Cholly telling the fans to study the game) has made this city have no real interest in the team. The team doesn’t have very many likable guys. (Chase Utley, Madson, but even Wagner & JRoll have peaved fans) Philly fans are thinking, "how can the players criticize us when they haven’t won jack squat in 25 years?"
Back on my post last Monday prior to their "crucial upcoming series" with the Fish and Braves I said:
If they split and go 3 and 3, they will linger around for a while and eventually crumble.
They did in fact split and I’m sticking with my guns. The Phillies may make it interesting and raise the hopes of some fans, but in the end I think they will fall short. What do I base this on? No real stats, just the fact that falling short is all I know from this town.
I would love nothing more than the Phillies to prove me wrong.
|Andrew Kulp on Safety First: Eagles agree to…|
|db21 on Safety First: Eagles agree to…|
|ochospantalones on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|iglue on 3 Stars: Ref disallows late go…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return