May 31, 2005, 10:36 PM EST
Randy Wolf pitched a great game to lead the Phillies past the Giants and the Braves fell to the Nationals making the NL East the tightest division in baseball. Atlanta and Florida are tied atop the division with Washington being 1.5 back, the Mets 2.5 back, and the Phillies 3.5 back.
Ryan Madson continues to thrive as the Phillies setup man going 1.1 innings of shutout ball. In contrast Billy Wagner seems to be going through some Mitch Williams phase going 1 inning and giving up another Home Run ball. Maybe it was the fans fault that Billy served up a dinger to Yorvit Torrealba, Yorvy’s second of the year:
Pronounced: yor VEET tor-EE-all-buh (what would we do without ESPN)
The Phillies seem to be on track lately, winning 10 of their last 16, and are right back in the hunt for the tight knit East. I still don’t think the fans of Philly are on board, however. You may ask yourself, Why not? I tend to go along with the theory that the outspoken criticism of the fans by Phillies players (Lofton, Rollins, Wagner, etc.) and coaches (Cholly telling the fans to study the game) has made this city have no real interest in the team. The team doesn’t have very many likable guys. (Chase Utley, Madson, but even Wagner & JRoll have peaved fans) Philly fans are thinking, "how can the players criticize us when they haven’t won jack squat in 25 years?"
Back on my post last Monday prior to their "crucial upcoming series" with the Fish and Braves I said:
If they split and go 3 and 3, they will linger around for a while and eventually crumble.
They did in fact split and I’m sticking with my guns. The Phillies may make it interesting and raise the hopes of some fans, but in the end I think they will fall short. What do I base this on? No real stats, just the fact that falling short is all I know from this town.
I would love nothing more than the Phillies to prove me wrong.
|dawkisgod on Video: If Chip Kelly calls a […|
|David Seasholtz on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages