Sep 23, 2010, 11:38 PM EDT
The Flyers played a "home game" up in London, Ontario, against the Maple Leafs of Toronto, Ontario on Thursday night. Panotch explains that there's good reason for the Flyers to feel at home in the John Labatt Centre despite the way they spell "center" differently than our own Wells Fargo version: Global Spectrum, a subsidiary of Comcast-Spectacor, manages the place.
Moving on to the game, we have one of my favorite things about hockey—the fact that it's only the preseason doesn't preclude the players from laying nasty hits, dropping the gloves, or participating in ELEVEN-ROUND SHOOTOUTS. Video of a Zac Rinaldo battle with Luke Schenn after the jump.
The Flyers weren't able to hang in there on this one, although I think both teams are awarded five imaginary happy points for going more than ten rounds in a preseason shootout. Boosh got the start and played well through two periods, and Sergei Bobrovsky handled the third period and shootout action again. Bob Loblaw looked pretty solid between the pipes.* Marc-Andre Bourdon and Bill Guerin scored for the Flyers in regulation, and Jeff Carter, Guerin, and Joonas Lehtivouri scored in the shootout. Another fun moment came when James van Riemsdyk was awarded a penalty shot against Toronto goalie James Reimer. Despite stricter adherence to I before E decorum, Riemer was bested by Reimer on this one.
Elsewhere on the tube tonight, CSN ran its Meet the Flyers program. Most interesting tidbit for me in this one was the inclusion of Guerin in the festivities. He even got a talking part. Much of the program was a taped event in front of a crowd at the Skate Zone, with brief player interviews, audience questions, and clips from last season. Guerin was featured in one of the on-stage Q&A's, sitting alongside Carter and wearing an organge Flyers T. It's a little harder to imagine Billy not making the club after seeing him featured in the intro show, but this is the NHL.
Bonus: Some footage for Jon Kalinski's next Virtua commercial? Watch as he Mmm Bop's Christian Hanson.
Let's not forget—let's not forget, Jon—that keeping your elbow up, and leaving the ice, for uh, domestic, you know, within the city—that ain't legal either.
*I was going to shoehorn a What About Bob reference in here too, but I figure the Arrested Development, Big Lebowski, and 90s bubblegum refs were already pushing it. Looks like Bobrovsky could give us ample opportunity to shout "Bob. Bob!" in the near future though.
|shopping.google.nl on Hunter Pence Rides ‘Let…|
|Chutley on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|Chutley on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money