Feb 17, 2009, 9:15 AM EDT
"You can tell there's a special vibe in here," said Ibanez, scanning
the Phillies clubhouse after the workout. "It's a great environment,
everything I expected and more. Coming in here, it feels like one of my
first spring trainings. This is already a great club. Hopefully, I can
bring something to the table and add to it."
And he even handled the question of how he plans on replacing Pat Burrell well:
"Nobody can replace anybody," Ibanez said. "We're all different. But
I'll bring the best version of myself every day that I can. I'll let it
all hang out on the field. You're talking about a great player, and the
things he did in Philadelphia speak for themselves. For me to try to
replace someone like that would be foolish. I just have to be myself."
Jim Salisbury's piece on the newest member of the Phillies is chock-full of juicy lines, like this bit from Cholly on whether Ibanez will have to be replaced late in games with the likes of Eric Bruntlett and his all-ball-stopping-beard.
"Right now, I'd say he'll play all nine innings," Manuel said. "He
starts as a nine-inning guy and we'll go from there. I don't even want
to bring it up. I don't give a damn what people think. I'll see for
Damn right, Cholly. Spring is here and it feels good.
>>Raul Ibanez arrives in Clearwater [Inquirer]
|BenE. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|MikeD on The Secret Service once threat…|
|Jason R. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money