Sep 3, 2009, 7:44 AM EST
Complaints about the Eagles organization are many. From the RazorGator ticket reselling mini scandal a few years back to Hoagie Gate and Joe Banner's often pompous attitude, Philly fans have had their issues with the Jeff Lurie regime. But for the most part, in my humble opinion, the Birds tend to try to put a winning team on the field while both making a buck and keeping their fans interests in mind. No team is a bunch of saints… er, you know what I mean, but the Eagles seem to be on the better side of the evil meter.
So while the Eagles organization has been run through the coals on many occasions, at least they've never sued its fans as the Washington Redskins seem to be wont to do to many of their unpaid season ticketholders.
The Washington Post has an extensive piece this morning detailing the Redskins efforts to sue 125 of their season ticket holders for breach of contract. It's a long read that tells the stories of many of the fans involved, including fans being forced to sell their Washington Redskins train sets.
This tidbit was my favorite.
In 2006, Jorge R. Vasquez Sr., 47, was in jail for embezzlement and
wrote to both the Washington Nationals and the Redskins to say he could
no longer keep his tickets. He had three loge seats at FedEx and a
six-year contract that began in 2003.
The baseball team wrote back to offer him free tickets, according to
a letter he sent to the court. The Redskins sued him $12,914.
The Nationals "were able to understand that my situation and status
to continue to support their team as a fan had changed," Vasquez wrote
to the court. "Instead of getting sued in courts, they extended their
sympathy by issuing to me four courtesy tickets; now I have even lost
my home and the richest franchise of the National Football League is
pursuing 'their loss' through court, while completely forgetting about
the fact that all I ever wanted to be was a Fan."
So maybe I should look into embezzlement as an option to finally get Eagles tickets?
Seriously though, it's stories like this that make you hate the juggernaut that professional sports, and the NFL specifically, have become. And to be fair to the Redskins, this apparently happens with other teams as well.
>>Hard Luck Runs Into Team's Hard Line [Washington Post]
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages