May 28, 2009, 7:36 AM EDT
Ives Galarcep of SoccerByIves.net is reporting that the Philadelphia Union are set to announce the hiring of Peter Nowak as the franchise's first coach. Although unconfirmed by the team so far, sources tell Ives the announcement will come tomorrow.
Ives is an MLS beat veteran, and his sources have been solid before, so this sounds pretty legit. Previously, when we posted about the four possible names for the franchise, it was first announced by Ives.
So who is Nowak? Those with knowledge of the MLS and US national teams will know him well and support the pick as a home run for the Union. He has previously won the MLS Cup as both a player (Chicago, '98) and a coach (DC United, '04), and recently, he's been an assistant with the national team. He's also been a star with the Polish national team.
Nowak has the pedigree, and Ives thinks his "tough guy" demeanor will go over well in Philly. For more, check out his post here.
|mfrey0118 on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
|frank on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|Mostel on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
|Sid on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money