Jan 6, 2009, 8:01 AM EDT
I don't know what it is about sports that makes us enjoy the valleys of our rivals almost as much as our own teams' peaks. I believe the Germans call it schadenfreude, and try as I might (not really) to be above it, I can't help but get a laugh when a Cowboys star tries to detonate his cresting team.
Kulp mentioned yesterday that Roy Williams, the "stud" receiver the Cowboys spent a huge haul of draft picks on, then a huge haul of money to lock up, wasn't happy with anyone thinking he's a number 2. Most of us thought he was lower than that on their depth chart this year (literally fourth in receiving production), but he'll have none of that. He also showed no amount of veteran leadership in his comments about Miles Austin's success and both receivers' chemistry with Tony Romo. Now, in order to clarify his statement, he did what most foot-in-mouthers do, he indicated the comments were taken out of context, and then threw someone else's name into the mix—Terrell Owens, in this case. Didn't I tell you this was fun?
"I'm not a T.O.," Williams said. "I'm not trying to be a T.O. I'm happy to win. I've said that a hundred times. I don't understand why people don't just say OK."
Why would he go after TO like that? Could it be because Owens name-dropped Williams just last week?
"I have been looking at my stats compared to Roy E. Williams' stats over there with the Cowboys and my goal is to have better stats than him by the end of the season," Owens said Wednesday. "I am looking forward to it. I can feel the momentum on this team."
Yes, if you're going to reach for the stars as a #1 WR, you should set your sites on Roy Williams, who is on pace for a little better than 30 catches and 4 TDs this season. Things have gotten bad in Buffalo, and now, you can be sure a reporter will be reading Williams' comments about "not being a TO" at Owens' next press opportunity.
We haven't reached full-on cat fight status yet, but who knows what'll come next. Speaking of which…
Video via Deadspin.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money