Jul 29, 2011, 11:57 AM EDT
The rumor mill continues to swirl, but mostly fans are just screaming their opinions to anyone that is willing to listen (or follow them on Twitter).
Real substantive information in the past 24-hours has been pretty thin. The Phillies still appear very much in on guys like Hunter Pence. Late last night Ken Rosenthal said the Astros may put a time window on a deal to the Phillies.
move on to other suitors — including the Phillies’ NL East rival, the
So, something *could* happen in the next few hours. Or it might not. Nobody knows.
Jim Salisbury certainly looks at July 29th as the day Ruben Amaro Jr. typically works his magic, adding “Will Amaro follow suit and come through again on July 29? Signs are certainly pointing that way.”
Ruben certainly seems poised to make something happen.
But one of my favorite bits of analysis over the past couple of days was when Hall of Famer Pat Gillick was a guest on last night’s DNL with Michael Barkann and went into GM styles.
Barkann asked the former Phillies GM how his approach differed from current GM Ruben Amaro Jr. Gillick equated himself to more of a window shopper at the King of Prussia Mall, always looking for a bargain. He then said Ruben sees something he wants, and goes right into Nordstrom and buys it regardless of price. Amaro is much more aggressive.
Is the attitude of getting the piece you want regardless of cost a good strategy? It’s worked for him in the past.
Amaro’s aggressiveness may be tested over the next day or two, because the Astros appear to want a whole lot in return for Hunter Pence.
Also, you have to wonder how Gillick made it into the Hall of Fame when he thinks he’s going to find a bargain at the King of Prussia Mall.
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return