Jul 11, 2008, 4:07 AM EST
Ryan Howard bashed two runs in yesterday’s 4-1 victory over the Cardinals just after hitting what proved to be the game winning homer on Wednesday evening. The Big Guy now stands at 27 home runs on the season. Nobody in baseball has more.
After yesterday’s win, a friend of mine told me about the pleasure he got from telling off his buddies who earlier in the season were calling for Howard to be traded. I like to think I never abandoned Ryan when he was mired in struggles. Sure, I made a few jokes here and there about "how many strikeouts will RyHo get tonight?" But I had faith the former MVP would find his stroke.
And he has.
So it was with great pleasure to find old One Chair penned one of his signature columns this morning putting Howard’s uncanny ability to strike out at such an alarming clip into historical perspective.
Conlin compares Ryan Howard to the late Joseph Wheeler Sewell who in one season struck out as many times as Howard has done in a single game this season, 4.
It’s one of those trips through baseball history that only old timers like Bill Conlin can take you on and it makes you happy to be a fan of the game of baseball after reading it.
And happy that Ryan Howard is your first baseman taboot.
>>Howard’s 27 homers outweigh his 125 strikeouts [Daily News]
Baseball Tonight likes Ryan’s turn around and Chase’s effort:
*also, ball players like Joseph Wheeler Sewell just sound better with three names. Although the Phillies two biggest guns aren’t helped out much by their middle names: Chase Cameron Utley and Ryan James Howard just don’t have that much flair.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return