Oct 22, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
It’s safe to say Matt Barkley’s NFL debut was… underwhelming. Three of his first 20 passes, all thrown after Nick Foles was knocked out of the Eagles 17-3 loss to the Cowboys on Sunday with what’s since been diagnosed as a concussion, were intercepted. A fourth was negated by a penalty. Poor decisions. Poor accuracy. Poor arm strength. Poor vision. Barkley’s struggles, it seemed, had no bounds.
some all (?) fans went as far as to question on local talk radio drafting Barkley with the first pick of the fourth round this past April. Only problem: there wasn’t much else there.
Slim pickings, indeed.
You could argue the Eagles could’ve gone with a different QB — most would say Nassib, I’d counter with Jones. But remember, one of the main reasons Kelly went QB there, he’s said, was the perceived value of getting a guy once thought to be a No. 1 overall prospect with a third-day pick.
Lattimore was coming off, well, this and wasn’t expected to play this season. (Nor has he.) The Eagles didn’t need a running back anyway — really? who saw 2013 Bryce Brown coming? — so Jonathan Franklin, UCLA’s all-time rushing leader now with Green Bay, wouldn’t have made much sense either.
You can never have enough interior offensive linemen, especially with two returners (Jason Kelce, Evan Mathis) coming off injury and the guy who shoved A.J. McCarron in the BCS National Championship still available. But Jones, too, was on the mend then from a Lisfranc injury.
Ultimately: if you’re going to bash a draft pick, you have to offer an alternative. And while it looks like the Eagles may have taken a real Brandon Graham here, it wasn’t 2010. There wasn’t an Earl Thomas or Jason Pierre-Paul plainly behind him. (Nor was this the first round. It was the fourth, where you tend to roll the dice like you’re Seth Rogen in “Knocked Up,” hoping to score Katherine Heigl. Or something.)
|greg on Playoff hockey returns to the…|
|chester on Watch Cliff Lee, who is awesom…|
|chester on It doesn’t matter what w…|
|Fly guy on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money