Dec 2, 2009, 10:48 AM EDT
It's 56º with clear skies and no rain expected all day. Fall is here, and lately, that has meant some pretty good times in Philadelphia. It was definitely the case on Friday night.
First, our Phils won the first game of their final regular season series, topping playoff-hopeful Braves, 11-5, in Atlanta. One of the few significant question marks heading into the postseason was the health and status of Jimmy Rollins, who has missed half the games this season and been slowed by leg injuries even when he has been on the field. Back in the lineup for the past three games, Jimmy managed only one hit last night, but when it's a grand slam, no one's really counting. He won't erase all the questions in one swing, but it was a great reminder of how having Jimmy in the lineup can change an October game in an instant. Another October hero, Carlos Ruiz, had three hits. His average is no aberration. Chooch is a .300ish hitter this season. I love Chooch. [CSNPhilly]
The Flyers also won last night, and besides the injuries to Michael Leighton and Ian Laperriere, things appear to be on track for the Orange & Black.
We'll be getting a little deeper into the state of the Flyers as the week progresses, but for now, we're liking what we're seeing from Lavvy's bunch. Nik "the Enigma" Zherdev scored again in last night's 3-1 win over the Sabres, marking five games for the enigmatic enigma. Brian Boucher was solid in net, another positive sign given that we'll be counting on him for at least three weeks of the season, and possibly longer. Timmy P says Sergei Bobrovsky will open the season as Boosh's backup, even if it hasn't been announced yet. Homer had hoped to get Johan Backlund some action before the end of the preseason, but with only one phony tilt left, the window to get him up to true game speed is closing fast. [CSNPhilly]
Meanwhile, Bob has done nothing but build confidence and draw praise. And get a new mask! More on that to come.
|bgp on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Marvin Monroe on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money