Feb 24, 2009, 7:46 AM EST
With the whole personal finance situation in upheaval along with just about everything else right now, the last thing anyone is poised to endure is investment fraud. But untold amounts of Americans are finding themselves in that exact position, including Phillies reliever Scott Eyre, Johnny Damon and Xavier Nady of the Yankees, and Carlos Pena of the Rays.
Todd Zolecki reports that each of the players has had his assets frozen while the government investigates an $8 billion fraud allegedly perpetrated by the Stanford Financial Group. So unless these players—and all the others who have been defrauded—have a stockpile of cash around, things are going to be lean until the investigation is over, which hopefully won't be long.
these checks to pay bills, and they're all going to bounce. If it takes
a week or two to get my money back, I'm going to have to ask my
teammates for some money. Seriously, I'm going to have to ask them
that. I can't get any money out."
And so a man making $2 million on his new 1-year contract has just $13 in his wallet right now. We're sure his fellow WFCs will pitch in to help the Eyres out in their time of need, but what grown man wants to even entertain the notion of asking to borrow money. Here's hoping the defrauders get theirs in this life and the next.
|Chris on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
|trishb on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|charlie d on Jonathan Papelbon’s ugly…|
|sfsu on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages