Feb 24, 2009, 7:46 AM EST
With the whole personal finance situation in upheaval along with just about everything else right now, the last thing anyone is poised to endure is investment fraud. But untold amounts of Americans are finding themselves in that exact position, including Phillies reliever Scott Eyre, Johnny Damon and Xavier Nady of the Yankees, and Carlos Pena of the Rays.
Todd Zolecki reports that each of the players has had his assets frozen while the government investigates an $8 billion fraud allegedly perpetrated by the Stanford Financial Group. So unless these players—and all the others who have been defrauded—have a stockpile of cash around, things are going to be lean until the investigation is over, which hopefully won't be long.
these checks to pay bills, and they're all going to bounce. If it takes
a week or two to get my money back, I'm going to have to ask my
teammates for some money. Seriously, I'm going to have to ask them
that. I can't get any money out."
And so a man making $2 million on his new 1-year contract has just $13 in his wallet right now. We're sure his fellow WFCs will pitch in to help the Eyres out in their time of need, but what grown man wants to even entertain the notion of asking to borrow money. Here's hoping the defrauders get theirs in this life and the next.
|Jon on Photos: The giant owl eyes now…|
|TS on Photos: The giant owl eyes now…|
|duffman on Video: If Chip Kelly calls a […|
|33 on Photos: The giant owl eyes now…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages