May 4, 2008, 1:16 PM EST
Fans headed to Citizens Bank Park this afternoon should be in for a great game, with Phillies ace/ninja Cole Hamels taking the mound against Giants phenom-fireballer Tim Lincecum. A diminutive pitcher a la Roy Oswalt, Linc is listed at 5’11, but that might be in his cleats. Kid’s got a cannon though, and he can put some K’s on the board.
Lincecum struggled at times last season, getting a little wild here and there, but he’s been outstanding during the first month of the 2008 campaign, earning 4 wins despite poor run support. His only loss came in his last turn, although he only gave up 3 runs in the effort. This pitcher is a lot of fun to watch, with some crazy mechanics, violent torsion, and a wind up that makes you think he might throw his whole arm at the plate.
Linc’s given up just one homer so far, but something tells me the Phils will add to that total today. Chase Utley and Pat Burrell continue to be locked in, with Chase adding
another HR to his league-leading total last night. Utley won NL Player
of the Month honors for April, and Burrell was in the running as well.
PTB finished the month with 25 RBI, a club record.
Hamels has had some real nice outings this year, but he’s twice lost his stuff late in the game, letting otherwise good starts slip away from him. If he’s motoring along through the first 6 innings, we’ll be watching to see if Uncle Charlie has him on a shorter leash come time for the 7th and 8th.
Ryan Howard is severely due to come out of his slumber, and Lincecum could be just what the doctor ordered (or, he could strike Howard out 4 times today). In his MLB debut on a Sunday night last season, Linc served up a meatball that Howard just destroyed. Hopefully he’ll hang another one and Howard can finally get on track this season.
|Scott B on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
|willh888 on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
|Mark432 on Jonathan Papelbon’s ugly…|
|Andy Schreiber on Here’s a lovely Winter W…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages