Jul 22, 2008, 1:15 PM EDT
Charles Barkley likes to get back to Philadelphia every once in a while and one of his favorite spots to grab a meal is Saloon in South Philly. Charles has been going there for years and became rather close with a busboy, Christian Abate. The busboy started on a quest to become a teacher back in 1997 as a freshman at Temple but due to financial troubles, he never finished. Sir Charles recently stepped in and offered to help with the costs.
"He’s a nice kid," Barkley said of Abate on Friday. "He was working
with kids, I loved that he wanted to be a teacher, and I wanted to help
him," Barkley told us by phone between stops on a flight to Reno where
he was making a speech.
When we joked to Barkley that people were going to be calling him
today asking for money, he said "People always call me asking for
money, and Christian never asked, which is why I wanted to help him
You have to love Sir Charles. Sure, he may have a horrible gambling problem but he absolutely still ranks high up on the totem poll of Philly fans’ all time favorites.
>>Sir Charles? To one lucky busboy, he’s Saint Charles [Daily News via SbB]
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money