Dec 21, 2011, 2:53 PM EDT
Our condolences go out on this Wednesday afternoon to the Xaiver Silas fan club. The former Northern Illinois Huskie is among the four players announced by the 76ers as having been released.
Silas joins Antonio Anderson, Dwayne Jones and Mike Tisdale on the open market. Of the four, Silas was the only one to see preseason action, recording a block in the waning moments of the team’s second and final exhibition game against the Wizards last evening.
The Sixers are now down to a 14-man roster, and are expected to stay that way. Of course, only twelve guys can dress on any given night.
Sixers coach Doug Collins was quoted last evening as saying that 6-10 forward Craig Brackins, who played just three games with the team last year, is in the process of transitioning from a power forward to a small forward, and is “in a fight with Andreas Nocioni for the sixth perimeter spot.” Nocioni was expected to be either amnestied or released earlier this month and has not played in either exhibition contest. Second round draft pick Lavoy Allen and veteran big man Tony Battie round out the remainder of the roster for those not already part of coach Collins’ rotation.
With a brief training camp and preseason already behind them, the Sixers are set to open their 2011-2012 season on the road next Monday night in Portland.
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
|philasopher on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money