Dec 9, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
The Sixers reached a tentative agreement with Thaddeus Young on Friday evening worth approximately 42 million over 5 years with the fifth year reportedly being Young’s option. All signs point to this being the right move for both sides. The Sixers bring back a 23-year-old player just starting to hit his prime on a reasonable deal while Thad gets to stay in Philadelphia, as he desired, to play for a coach he greatly respects and believes in. And he won’t have to worry about his bank account either.
Earlier in the day the team announced they signed both of their draft picks, Nikola Vucevic and Lavoy Allen, while adding free agents Antonio Anderson, Dwayne Jones, Mike Tisdale and Xavier Silas to the training camp roster.
The only real move left to make it seems is to deal with restricted free-agent Spencer Hawes. Interest in the mostly unproven big man around the league has not exactly been red hot of late.
So Thad is back in the mix and Sixers fans have the pleasure of watching Doug Collins help attempt to him transform into a star. It’ll be one of the many positives to watch for on this young team over the next few seasons.
It pretty much guarantees the Sixers roster will be the exact same this year as last season, minus Noch perhaps, but it probably would have been anyway, and this isn’t the worst year to have a little consistency.
Thad’s happy to be back in Philly, too.
A few of his tweets from Friday night:
Thanks to each and every one of my fans family friends teammates and
coaches who have been there step of way … I appreciate you guys
Promise to continue to play hard with pride and all my heart … I love Philly
|Jason R. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|phillyphanatic77 on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Hiccup on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money