Jun 9, 2010, 11:13 PM EDT
They came out looking absolutely dead to start the third period, trailing 3-2 with the Blackhawks only minutes away from hoisting the Cup. But something happened, perhaps another well-timed Peter Laviolette timeout, perhaps the energy of the crowd, or perhaps that survive instinct kicked into relentless mode. Scottie Hartnell, the guy with the most energy for the Flyers all night, tipped one in off of a beauty of a pass from Ville Leino, and this one was going to overtime. Sadly, that was the high point on the evening for the Flyers and their fans.
Unfortunately for Philadelphia, the Blackhawks were the first to find the net in extra time, albeit not really the back of it.
It was one hell of a run for this team, a month-long ride that Flyers fans will never forget. They didn't have it tonight, but they were close. Close doesn't let you lift Lord Stanley's cup though.
More to come. Not how we wanted it to end.
|willh888 on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|Matt S. on Michael Carter-Williams is you…|
|FlyersFan on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|rw on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money