Jan 24, 2008, 6:00 PM EDT
(Update: Sorry, but for some reason, the comments weren’t posting properly until just after the game ended)
It wasn’t long ago we were wondering just what the hell was wrong with the Flyers. Most fans weren’t ready to panic; it’s a long season, and slow starts are never the end of the world in the NHL. Injuries on the blue line were a factor they couldn’t control or just "improve," and I was pretty impressed the lack of any "sky is falling" mentality among the Wach faithful. Of course, it might also have had something to do with this.
Thankfully, the Flyers have rebounded in a huge way. Since losing in Pittsburgh, they’ve won four straight contests with solid play at both ends of the ice. Their top forwards are playing like superstars, led by Jeff "Write-in" Carter and Simon "Vigilante Justice" Gagne. Mike Richards has been as steady as they come, and others such as Scott Hartnell and Glen Metropolit have really contributed lately as well. Playing minus center Danny Briere and still winning four games in a row ain’t bad at all.
Tonight, they face a struggling Dallas team. (Kinda has a nice sound to it, no matter what sport, huh?)
The Stars sit at 6-9-4 and are dogged by their inability to keep the puck out of their own net (highest goals against total in Western Conference). They also just lost Brenden Morrow, their team captain, for the season. Marty Turco isn’t having his best season, but he’s been great against the Flyers in the past, so he can’t be overlooked.
Who to watch: Sean Avery. The Vogue Mag intern has 44 PIM already this month, including 21 in one game, and 11 the last time he took the ice. Avery’s the kind of guy who can get a few penalties called the other way too, and he always keeps it interesting.
I won’t be able to catch this one, as I’ll be meeting Meech at Cavanaugh’s for a drink before we head over to watch the Phillies World Series DVD screening at the Bridge Theater (sold out). The World Series Trophy will be in the room…
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return