May 31, 2009, 12:04 PM EDT
Never a bad feeling waking up with your team in first place in the division.
The Phillies have one more game against the Nationals before heading out on a pretty tough road trip that will test their revamped rotation. The Nats have been our whipping boys so far this season (not that the Phils are in exclusive company there), but Washington did come out swinging yesterday, getting to Cole Hamels for six runs. Pappy Moyer takes the mound today, still looking to chip away at a slump that has mired most of his 2009 season. Moyer's lost four in a row, but he's looked a helluva lot better in his last two outings than he did in the two before that. We'll take any progress we can get. In 20 career starts against Washington, Jamie is 10-4 with a 3.03 ERA.
Familiar foe John Lannan will
be thrown to the wolves get the start for the Nationals. Lannan's career numbers against the Phils (5.97 ERA, 1.71 WHIP) should make those on their way to the game today pretty excited for seeing some crooked numbers up on the board. Yes, Lannan is also that guy who broke Chase Utley's hand in 2007, then hit Ryan Howard in the next at bat. He may have apologized, but we're still holding a grudge (holding grudges being more fun than forgiveness/moving on).
It's a gorgeous day for baseball, and hopefully another win for the first place Fightins.
|al on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Eng E on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JJ on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|nahroots on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money