May 10, 2007, 7:51 PM EST
The NCAA has placed Temple on probation after the University discovered and self-reported that its tennis coach was allowing an ineligible player to take the court. Yes that’s right, the entire sports program, including the bread-winning men’s basketball team and blossoming women’s hoops squad, is on probation because of the tennis team.
The coach, who was fired on April 12, 2005, hid the scheme by
mumbling the name of the student-athlete during pre-match introductions
and by asking opponents to skip formal introductions altogether, the
The school and Hoehne were cited for violations including fraud and erroneous student-athlete eligibility certifications.
The men’s tennis team received a one-year ban from the postseason
and must forfeit all matches in which an ineligible student-athlete
played during the 2004-05 academic year, the NCAA’s Division I
committee on infractions said. The Owls were 3-9 that season.
So after coming up with the foolproof plan of masking the identity of the ineligible player by mumbling, Coach Hoehne still finished the season with an abysmal record. Everyone knows if you cheat, you’d better win.
>>Temple on NCAA probation [Inqy via AP]
|Mike B. on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Jagwaur on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|karadakid on This Grantland profile on Andr…|
|Hextall on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages