Feb 21, 2011, 7:31 AM EST
Aside from the events on the floor in Sunday's Big 5 match up, the Temple University student section held a public funeral for the St. Joseph's Hawk. Having spent the past six decades proudly exclaiming "The Hawk Will Never Die," the mere suggestion of such an event is no doubt reviled by SJU students and alums alike.
Those Temple mourners who failed to arrive in the appropriate attire were promptly delivered black t-shirts bearing the slogan "R.I.P. The Hawk" upon their entrance. Cardboard gravestones were a common sight, with most displaying the date and score of a recent Temple victory over Joe's. The piece de resistance, however, came in the form a black casket marched into the building shortly before the tip. The coffin, adorned with flowers and a #14 Jameer Nelson jersey, was promptly placed behind the West basket and guarded by a student dressed as the Grim Reaper for the entirety of the game.
Sunday's victory marks nine in a row for the Owls over the Hawks, a streak that no doubt motivated the far from impromptu wake. Pictures and a (sic'd) copy of the day's printed Funeral Program after the jump…
Thanks for the memories, Hawk. Especially these ones:
- March 2, 2008. Temple 57 St. Joe's 56
- March 15, 2008. Temple 69 St. Joe's 64
- February 12, 2009. Temple 61 St. Joe's 59
- March 5, 2009. Temple 68 St. Joe's 59
- March 12, 2009. Temple 79 St. Joe's 65
- January 6, 2010. Temple 73 St. Joe's 46
- February 20, 2010. Temple 75 St. Joe's 67
- January 29, 2011. Temple 72 St. Joe 54
We'd like to honor those who were not able to make it to this day.
- D.J. Rivera (transferred, Binghamton)
- Abdulai Jalloh (transferred, James Madison)
- Alvin Mofunanya (transferred, Farleigh-Dickinson)
- Jawan Carter (transferred, Delaware)
- Chris Prescott (transferred, St. Peters College)
- Bryant Irwin (transferred, Furman)
- Todd O'Brien (suspended, community standards)
- Patrick Swilling (suspended, student code of conduct)
A final hymn for The Hawk:
- I believe.
- I believe the.
- I believe the Hawk is dead (Repeat 5X)
The Saint Joseph's University Hawk first flapped its wings at a basketball game in 1956. In 2011, The Hawk has finally met its ultimate demise.
The casket holding The Hawk will be brought in just before the start of the game for those who want to pay thier final respects.
For our rollouts, we are going to take the St. Joseph's community through Kubler-Ross' "Five Stages of Grief."
- Denial: 55 years of chanting "The Hawk Will Never Die!"
- Anger: Promising Recruits, 7-18 Record.
- Bargaining: Phil Martelli's Severance Package.
- Depression: No Atlantic City two straight years
- AccepTance: 9 IN A ROW
During St. Joseph's starting lineups we ask that you genuflect and have a moment on silence for all those that have transferred from and have been kicked off the St. Joseph's basketball team in recent years.
**Coach Fran Dunphy, Athletic Director Bill Bradshaw, and University President Ann Weaver Hart all have asked that we refrain from yelling "Sucks" during visiting team starting lineups and at the end of the game when we sing "The Hey Song" (ed. note: Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll, Part II"). They think we, as Temple students, are more creative than that. We want to honor the request of these people who help make Temple basketball what it is.**
The Hawk's family asks that in lieu of real tears, you toss tissues in the air on every made Temple basket.
Light refreshments will be provided following the ceremony at Qdoba. (When The Owls score 72 Points.) (ed. note: Qdoba Mexican Grill redeems gameday ticket stubs for one free taco per guest should Temple score 72 or more points. I've been told this is common across the Big 5).
|BenE. on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|Matt S. on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|Matt S. on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|Ray Emery on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages