Jul 22, 2008, 10:32 PM EST
Through most of Tuesday night’s series opener at Shea, Phils fans were wondering why the team traded anything at all for Joe Blanton. He was unimpressive, to be kind, and Johan Santana outshined him in a big way. No shock there. But Johan was relieved after the 8th, leaving the game with a 5-2 lead. And once again, his team let him down…
The Phillies teed off on the Mets bullpen, starting with reliever Duancr Sanchez. Due to some cramping and spasming, Billy Wagner was unavailable, and the Dirty promptly loaded the bases. After Sanchez was relieved, Chooch stepped in and sent a real screamer to short. Really tough play for Reyes. Can’t fault him for this one.
Smith looked thrilled with Reyes there, huh? So Taguchi couldn’t have picked a better time to notch his first pinch hit as a Phillie, doubling deep to right and plating two Phils to tie the game. Taguchi put in an 8-pitch at bat to bump that PH count to 1/17.
Then the reigning MVP rose to the occasion, as we hoped he would at
some point in this series at Shea. Rollins doubled, scoring So Tag and
Gotta love the fan with the 2007 NL Champs pennant from opening day. The guys at the end of the clip with the headgear? Not so much. The Mets would burn through four relievers in the inning, with the Phillies sending 11 batters to the plate. 8-5 Phillies going into the bottom of the frame after Howard adds an infield RBI.
Brad Lidge was a little shaky in the 9th, but ultimately closed it
out. Unbelievable finish. Unless you’ve seen the Mets bullpen before.
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages