Jan 14, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
In the Sixers loss the other night to the Pacers, Andre Iguodala looked awfully rusty in his first game back after missing a stretch trying to rest his Achilles’ tendinitis. It was not fun for Sixers fans to watch Dre struggle, especially when his… let's call them "less-than-100%-healthy minutes" could be going to other youngsters to help them develop.
The Delco Times' Dennis Deitch has an article this morning wondering whether Andre is being hurried back to the court because the Sixers need him, as Doug Collins says, or whether they want him out there to showcase him for other teams prior to the February 24th trade deadline.
The irony is that his hasty return very well could be related to wanting to move forward without him. A healthy Iguodala would be a nice option for playoff teams trying to fill a need, and there are teams who could use a two-way swingman on the court. But now that his Achilles’ tendon has been giving him this much trouble for this long, it would take quality time on the court for Iguodala to prove he can do that this season.
I think it's safe to say that the majority of Sixers fans would be completely fine without Dre on the squad, especially if the team was able to get anything of substance in return for him in a trade. (Except for that one commenter who LOVES Dre's defense. Yes, his defense is top notch, but does it outweigh all of the other frustrating things he does as the "star player" on the Sixers?)
The next month and a half should be critical in the future of Andre Iguodala and the Sixers.
In other Sixers news, part of Spencer Hawes recent struggles stem from another back injury. You're not going to win many games when two of your starters are hampered by lingering injuries.
|mfrey0118 on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
|frank on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|Mostel on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
|Sid on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money