May 4, 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
What was that? The Phillies played a game last night. I must have blacked out and forgot. Who knew tasering had that effect.
Joe Blanton pitched surprisingly well in his first outing of the season last night for the Phils. Unfortunately for Joe the Lumber and Phillies fans everywhere, the Phillies opted to go with Nelson Figueroa in a tie ball game. That didn't turn out so well.
While the end result of the game was less than desirable, there were a few positives to take away from this one. For one, Brad Lidge had some good stuff with the velocity on his fastball reaching 93 on the regular.
After the game he talked about being ready to close again. If Lidge can be as effective as he was last night on a regular basis, and more importantly in bigger spots, that will give the Phils bullpen a huge boost.
Here's Lidge on his outing:
The Cardinals showed that they're a top notch ball club and one the Phillies could likely see in the postseason if they want to make it three straight trips to the World Series.
Also of interest was the play in which Joe Blanton bunted and got called out at first base for interference. Charlie Manuel argued his face off and was eventually tossed. Personally, I'd have to side with Cholly on this one. The throw from third brought Pujols Schumaker far enough away from the bag that I felt that Joe was fine in his action of reacting.
Here's Charlie talking about the play:
|phillyphanatic77 on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Hiccup on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
|Chutley on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Mostel on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money