Dec 16, 2011, 1:58 PM EDT
One of the more noticeable changes (for those who spend as much time on the Internet as we do) that has come about as part of the new Sixers regime is the transition of former PA announcer Matt Cord over to being the video voice on Sixers.com.
Cord, who you may know best from his radio DJ work, is the new “Senior Correspondent” for the team’s official website. The videos he’s produced thus far are far and away better than anything the team has produced in the past — a certain positive move, especially for die hard Sixers information junkies. Both of you.
It’s just another sign of the times, as professional sports teams realize they can be their own media machine of sorts with less reliance on traditional outlets. It should be interesting to see what kind of new video coverage Sixers.com gives during the season.
The team is down in DC for the first of their two preason games tonight against the Washington Wizards. Cord chatted with Lou Williams that shared his gameday routine includes a blueberry muffin, a bagel, some orange juice and some chicken, broccoli, and mashed before gametime.
As for Cord’s replacement as the Public Address announcer at the Wells Fargo Center, it’s a voice you may be familiar with, veteran Philadelphia media personality Tom Lamaine. From the team’s release, “Lamaine
was a television icon in Philadelphia for over 40 years, retiring as
the longtime meteorologist for CBS-3 in 2008 and also served as the
one-time broadcaster of
Philadelphia 76ers games. Before joining KYW full-time in 1984,
Lamaine anchored both weather and sports on a part-time basis beginning
in 1979. Previously, he was an on-air personality, announcer and
sportscaster for Philadelphia’s WIP radio for 15 years,
where he also hosted Eagles pre- and post-game programs.”
photo from Sixers.com
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money