May 16, 2008, 12:05 AM EST
After one period of Thursday night’s game 4, the Flyers had established that they weren’t ready to pack it in just yet. They scored 3 goals on 17(!) shots in the period, which proved to be enough. Despite a rush led by Jordan Staal’s 2 goals in the third, the Flyers held on when things got rough, adding an empty netter and a few beat downs to show they’re not done yet.
Joffrey Lupul, who’d been pretty quiet in these playoffs outside of a series winner against the Caps, scored the game’s first goal, as well as its last (en). Danny Briere finally woke up in this series, adding the second goal of the game, and Jeff Carter netted the third. Both Briere and Carter scored on the power play, a welcome sight after the man-up had gone anemic in the first three games without Kimmo Timonen. Working on a line with Briere and Mike Richards, Scott Hartnell notched three assists. Dude can do pretty much anything that’s asked of him. First period highlights:
Marty Biron had another great night in net, turning away 25 shots through the first two periods and 36 overall. If he hadn’t already, he’s earned the respect of this fanbase during this playoff run.
To cap the night off, Pittsburgh’s Ryan Malone mixed it up with Derian Hatcher, and Hatch just went off, pummeling Malone despite taking the first few punches uncontested. Moments later, Richards and Sidney Crosby got into a beef, but luckily for Crosby, it ended before Richards got loose and destroyed him.
The teams are off until Sunday afternoon, which might actually be a good thing for the Flyers despite their up-tempo win tonight. With any luck, Braydon Coburn should be ready to go by then,
though I doubt Kimmo Timonen will be ready by then, and so may Kimmo Timonen. With Cole Hamels throwing a complete game shutout of the Braves across the parking lot, it was a hell of a night in South Philly.
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|icdogg on Connor Barwin is … THE…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Mostel on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages