Sep 16, 2009, 9:00 AM EDT
It came in a day game against the Montreal Expos played at Veteran's Stadium. It was the bottom of the 7th inning, with the Phillies trailing 0-1 after future-Phil, then-Expo Tim McCarver drove in Ken Singleton with an RBI groundout. Facing Expos starter Balor Moore (in the midst of a 25-inning scoreless streak) and with Terry Harmon and Roger Freed on base, he launched a three-run jack that put the Phils up 3-1 and ended up winning the game for them. And with that, his first ever home run, on September 16th, 1972–Michael Jack Schmidt had arrived.
Schmidt played in just 13 games after getting called up that September, and he only went deep the one time, ending with just a .206 batting average and three RBIs. His next season didn't go that much better, as he managed just a .196 batting average and struck out 136 times. But credit manager Danny Ozark for sticking with his slugging third baseman, as his 18 homers in his full rookie season doubled to 36 in 1974, and his batting average raised 86 points to .282, meriting Schmidt a sixth-place MVP placing and the first of his 12 All-Star appearances. Before all was said and done, that home run in 1972 marked just the first of Schmidt's 548 total career longballs–then good for seventh-most all-time.
(Thanks again to Broad and Pattison for the assist).
|willh888 on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|Matt S. on Michael Carter-Williams is you…|
|FlyersFan on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|rw on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money