Dec 10, 2008, 9:00 AM EDT
Busy couple of days for #88 in Eagles History. When citing examples of Philly sports fans being assholes, only Santa Claus getting booed back in 1968 is cited more frequently than the way Birds fans reacted to the Eagles' game against the Cowboys back at the Vet in 1999. Late in the first quarter, Dallas wideout Michael Irvin caught a short pass from QB Troy Aikman, and a combination of hits from Eagles cornerback Bobby Taylor and safety Tim Hauck twisted Irvin's neck awkwardly. As he was wheeled off on a stretcher, thousands of Green-Bleeders cheered at the misfortune that had befallen the Hall-of-Fame receiver that had burned them for over a decade.
However, what those fans likely (hopefully) failed to realize was that the injury didn't just end Irvin's game, it ended his career, #88 sustained a spinal cord injury that meant he never played another second in the National Football League. Needless to say, the Vet faithful caught some heat for their rejoicing in their rival's ruin. ""It disgusted me to death," said teammate Emmitt Smith. " This is just a game. Life, paralyzation and death are a reality. Sport is sport." Even the Birds themselves came down hard. "I know our fans pride themselves on being tough, but that wasn't tough," said receiver Charles Johnson. ""That was just plain ignorant."
Incidentally, the Eagles did end up winning the game 13-10, on a hookup between Johnson and QB Doug Pederson in the fourth quarter.
|BenE. on Interesting theory on Jake Vor…|
|BenE. on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|letsgoFlyers on Interesting theory on Jake Vor…|
|Matt Nowak on Michael Carter-Williams is you…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money