Dec 10, 2008, 9:00 AM EST
Busy couple of days for #88 in Eagles History. When citing examples of Philly sports fans being assholes, only Santa Claus getting booed back in 1968 is cited more frequently than the way Birds fans reacted to the Eagles' game against the Cowboys back at the Vet in 1999. Late in the first quarter, Dallas wideout Michael Irvin caught a short pass from QB Troy Aikman, and a combination of hits from Eagles cornerback Bobby Taylor and safety Tim Hauck twisted Irvin's neck awkwardly. As he was wheeled off on a stretcher, thousands of Green-Bleeders cheered at the misfortune that had befallen the Hall-of-Fame receiver that had burned them for over a decade.
However, what those fans likely (hopefully) failed to realize was that the injury didn't just end Irvin's game, it ended his career, #88 sustained a spinal cord injury that meant he never played another second in the National Football League. Needless to say, the Vet faithful caught some heat for their rejoicing in their rival's ruin. ""It disgusted me to death," said teammate Emmitt Smith. " This is just a game. Life, paralyzation and death are a reality. Sport is sport." Even the Birds themselves came down hard. "I know our fans pride themselves on being tough, but that wasn't tough," said receiver Charles Johnson. ""That was just plain ignorant."
Incidentally, the Eagles did end up winning the game 13-10, on a hookup between Johnson and QB Doug Pederson in the fourth quarter.
|cicilyqyo412 on Is Nate Allen good now, part o…|
|cicilyqyo412 on Drexel beats Villanova in huuu…|
|cicilyqyo412 on Erik Kratz traded for Brad Lin…|
|cicilyqyo412 on Things that happened during la…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages