Mar 10, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
Today it's one of the best rivalries in the NHL, but back in 1985, Flyers vs. Penguins wasn't really so much of a fair fight. The Penguins would finish in last place in the Patrick division for the third straight time in the '84-'85 season, posting just 24 wins, which was still their most in three years. It wouldn't last forever–the Penguins already had the most important piece of their rebuilding process in place in the anointed Next Great One Mario Lemieux, who scored an even 100 points in his rookie season. But on March 10th, 1985, the Pens were absolutely no match for the Philadelphia Flyers.
The Flyers kept things even enough in a high-scoring first period, netting three goals while giving back two of their own. But in the second, the offense exploded, with an astounding seven different Flyers connecting against Pittsburgh goalie Brian Ford, who was astoundingly left in the game until the final period. Serving a major in the second for the above fight with the Pens' Bob Errey, Rich Sutter came back in the third to add insult to injury, scoring the Flyers' last goal of the game. Final score: Flyers 11, Penguins 4.
The Flyers steamrolled through the East that season, posting a league best 53-20-7 record, and going an impressive 11-3 thorugh conference play in the post-season. In the finals, however, they met the dynastic Edmonton Oilers–they of Gretzky and Kurri and Messier and Coffey and Fuhr–and fell in five games. Disappointment and tragedy quickly followed, as Vezina-winning goalie Pelle Lindbergh died in a car accident shortly into the following season, and the team ended up losing to the Rangers in the first round of the playoffs.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return